Hackerspace concept expands via events such as MakerCamp - a break from traditional, heavily scripted Hong Kong education. The children are busy playing around with batteries...
Fields of Specialization:
- Fabrication and Characterization of Biomorphic Materials, Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites, Thin Film Growth and Magnetic Oxides, Colloids, Glass Formation, Liquid-solid Impact, Synthesis and Property of Semiconductor and Metal Nanostructures, Plasmonic Properties of Metal Nanostructures, Optical Properties of Semiconductors, Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic Materials, Studies of Fluid Turbulence and Bacterial Motion, Properties of Undercooled Metal Liquids, Nanostructured Metal Composites Formed from Undercooled Liquid Alloys, Surface Sciences and Properties of Nanostructures Supported by Surfaces, and Utracold Atoms and Molecules.
- Theoretical / Computational:
- Astroparticle Physics, Cosmology, Gravitational Waves, Pulsations of Compact Stellar Objects, Complex System, Computational Physics, Computational Many-body Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, High-temperature Superconductors, Interacting Electron-phonon Systems, Quantitative Finance, Elect ronic and Opt ical Proper t ies of Semiconductor Nanostructures, Quantum Optics, Quantum Information, Quantum Spin Systems, Dissipative Quantum Systems, Strongly Correlated Systems, Turbulence, and Ultracold Atoms and Molecules.
Primary Area of Study
- Graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- Graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B" ; or
- Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
English Language Proficiency Requirement:
Applicants should either
- possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
-Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level)
-Hong Kong High Level Examination
-CUHK Matriculation Examination, OR
- achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; OR
- have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country, OR
- submit one of the following original score reports/certificates for assessment:
-TOEFL (Paper-based: 550; Computer-based: 213; Internet-based: 79)
-IELTS (Academic) (Band 6.5)
-GMAT (Verbal) (Band 21), OR
- have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or in an English-speaking country