Fields of Specialization:
- Fabrication and Characterization of Biomorphic Materials, Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites, Thin Film Growth and Magnetic Oxides, Colloids, Glass Formation, Liquid-solid Impact, Synthesis and Property of Semiconductor and Metal Nanostructures, Plasmonic Properties of Metal Nanostructures, Optical Properties of Semiconductors, Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic Materials, Studies of Fluid Turbulence and Bacterial Motion, Properties of Undercooled Metal Liquids, Nanostructured Metal Composites Formed from Undercooled Liquid Alloys, Surface Sciences and Properties of Nanostructures Supported by Surfaces, and Utracold Atoms and Molecules.
- Theoretical / Computational:
- Astroparticle Physics, Cosmology, Gravitational Waves, Pulsations of Compact Stellar Objects, Complex System, Computational Physics, Computational Many-body Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, High-temperature Superconductors, Interacting Electron-phonon Systems, Quantitative Finance, Elect ronic and Opt ical Proper t ies of Semiconductor Nanostructures, Quantum Optics, Quantum Information, Quantum Spin Systems, Dissipative Quantum Systems, Strongly Correlated Systems, Turbulence, and Ultracold Atoms and Molecules.
Primary Area of Study
A Master's degree in Physics or related disciplines, or a Bachelor's degree in Physics or related disciplines, normally with Second Class Honours or above. Applicants are advised to take the Advanced Physics Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and a score of the test should be submitted along with the application.
Applicants should normally either:
- possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level)
- Hong Kong High Level Examination
- CUHK Matriculation Examination, OR
- have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country, OR
- submit one of the following scores for assessment:
- TOEFL (Paper-based: 550; Computer-based: 213; Internet-based: 79)
- College English Test (CET-6) of PRC (total mark 430 of Level 6)
- GMAT (Verbal) (Band 21)
- IELTS (Academic) (Band 6.5)
- PETS (Level 5), OR
- have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or in an English-speaking country, OR
- be exceptionally admitted upon full justification.