he programme is a joint venture pioneered by mathematics educators and research mathematicians, which is still a unique feature in Hong Kong. It is a two-year course offered by the Faculty of Education in association with the Department of Mathematics of The University. The programme makes full advantage of collaboration between two academic units within the same campus and it targets at potential and practicing mathematics teachers in Hong Kong primary and secondary schools. It aims at upgrading both the subject content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge of the programme participants. It particularly meets the anticipations of those who want to pursue their further studies with interests in both mathematics and in the teaching profession.
The programme comprises three components, the mathematics, education and mathematics education components. In the mathematics component, participants are required to take 3 courses chosen among the Master courses of Mathematics Department. This ensures a competency in mathematics knowledge of participants beyond undergraduate level. Participants are equipped with professional knowledge of curriculum studies and mathematics education. Courses on mathematics education focus on teaching, learning, curriculum and assessment under the educational reform worldwide. Participants have the choice of concluding their study by conducting action research, generating knowledge for professionalisation of teaching .
- Graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- Graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B" ; or
- Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- hold a bachelor degree in Mathematics or related areas at second class honours level or above from a recognized university;
- possession of teaching experience and / or of a Postgraduate Diploma in Education, or equivalent, would be an asset;
- pass an entrance examination or interview conducted by the Graduate Division of Education.